Friday 11 May 2012

#31



A little Cinco de mayo history...
Literally "the Fifth of May," Cinco de Mayo is a Mexican Holiday celebrating the Battle of Puebla Battle, which took place on May 5, 1862. In 1861, France sent a massive army to invade Mexico, as they wanted to collect on some war debts. ( Damn debt collectors, they’re relentless). The French army was much larger, better trained and equipped than the Mexicans struggling to defend the road to Mexico City. It rolled through Mexico until it reached Puebla, where the Mexicans made a valiant stand, and, against all logic, won a huge victory. It was short-lived, as the French army regrouped and continued; eventually taking Mexico City, but the euphoria of an unlikely victory against overwhelming odds is remembered every May fifth.



So now that you know the history behind Cinco de mayo, let’s talk about my Cinco De Mayos. My favorite memory of this special day, Was a few years ago when I had just moved to Hawaii. My parents were down visiting and we had heard a rumor about there being a huge celebration downtown Waikiki, and the best part, there was a massive chihuahua parade.



   So my parents Dan and I were off in search off 100s of Mexican chihuahua parading down the street. Being new to the island we wern't exactly sure where to go so we wondered the hot streets trying to hear a mariachi band.  Now let’s remember what I looked like when I left for Hawaii. I was a Bigger girl and wondering around looking for a dog that resembled a sexy rat wasn’t something I was really into. But we searched and searched and never found the celebration, What were the Frescura’s to do … Well somehow my mothers internal GPS landed us at the Ala moana center… A huge  shopping mall down the street from my apartment. That’s right, it’s real shocking that my mother found shopping and booze!!!!!We celebrated in our own way with shopping, margaritas and dinner at Bubba gimp shrimp restaurant. Where my mother the idiot savant got every trivia question in the restaurant right and then asked if she gets a prize?! Yeah the prize is, you sit here and people bring you food and then you get to pay for the food… Congratulations!!! 








   HAPPY CINCO DE MAYO


 

No comments:

Post a Comment