Saturday 16 June 2012

Fathers Day 5


CALM DOWN, SHE’S FINE!



       A friend of mine had asked me to go with her and her mom to the university for family swim. I was maybe 10 years old. My parents gave me permission and off I went. While waiting to go swimming my friend and I were running up and down the stairs racing from the top to the bottom. Being competitive I decided the only way to win was to jump the last 5 or 6 stairs. I won the race landing on the ground and collapsing on my ankle that made a huge cracking sound when I landed. I limped over to a chair and sat there quietly not telling anyone that my foot hurt in case I wouldn’t be able to go swimming with a hurt foot.


OMG... Is All I Can Say!!

     A little while later it was time for us to swim, I did my best not to limp or let on I was hurt. I made it to the edge of the pool and jumped into the deep end. I flayed my arms and kicked my feet splashing around enjoying the water. Until I kicked my foot and realized how much it hurt. I swam over to the edge of the pool where a lifeguard came over and asked if I was ok. I told her yeah I’m fine my foot just hurts. She made me get out of the pool to look at my foot. It was big and blue and very obvious that there was something wrong. Thankfully we were at the university and didn’t have far to go to get to the university hospital ER, where my friends mom called my house to tell my parents I was hurt.

Dad... Surprise!!

    Not surprising at all my mom had gone shopping and took my sister with her. I was told that my dad would be there in just a few minutes. But I remember waiting and waiting thinking it was taking a long time for my dad to get there. Finally my dad showed up to the hospital, later in life I found out that my dad had been delayed because my mom went shopping and had taken not only her set of keys but also my fathers set of keys so he couldn’t drive to the hospital.  He went next door to our neighbours and knocked on their door over and over again, finally one of their kids pulled into the driveway and even though she was making spaghetti sauce she was more then happy to give my dad a ride.

Dad and Dino

   My mom and sister returned home to an empty house even though my dad’s truck was still in the driveway. Puzzled there wasn’t much they could do but wait for my dad or I to return home to get some answers. After all was said and done, my dad called my mom and told her he needed a ride home, apparently she was little upset  that she left me in dads care and now he needed a ride home from the hospital. When my mom pulled up to the ER entrance my dad pushed me out in my wheelchair with the cast on my foot that went up to my knee. My mom jumped out of the van yelling and asking for someone to explain what had happen. My dad’s response was “Don’t panic, It’s worse then it looks, really it’s nothing just a scratch.”

Dad Golfing


No comments:

Post a Comment